NCSTN Icon

NORTH CAROLINA STOP TORTURE NOW

PO Box 12707
Raleigh, NC 27605
contact@ncstoptorturenow.org
(919) 834-4478
(eveings and weekends, or messages during business hours)
Link to NC Commission on Inquiry
Link to NCSTN Home Page
Link to Action Guide
Link to Apologize
Link to Information on Victims and Survivors of Extraordinary Rendition
Link to Membership and Donor Information
Link to Resources and External Links
Link to Calendar of Upcoming Events
Link to Information for the Media
Link to a History of Our Coalitions Notable Events
Link to Planespotting Guidance, Log and Photos
How to reach us

Facebook logo

  • Who We Are  • Our Work So Far: A Chronology 
 • Urge Our Government to Apologize!
 • Accountability Now. Short Video Explains Why and How
 • 
Next Meeting • Donate


Nationally Noted Theologian, Dean of Duke Chapel, and Local Human Rights Advocate Speak on Torture Accountability

About 50 people gathered at Pullen Memorial Baptist Church, Tuesday, June 24, to hear noted theologian Dr. David P. Gushee offered a talk on "Coming to Terms with Torture: Truth, Accountability, and Reconciliation."

Gushee is the Distinguished University Professor of Christian Ethics and the Director of the Center for Theology and Public Life at Mercer University and previewed themes from his talk during an interview on the WUNC 91.5 FM program The State of Things. Gushee's position on the need for the U.S. to apologize to victims and survivors of the post-9/11 torture program was also featured in a story published June 26 by the News & Observer and also carrried by the Stars & Stripes, a news publication targeting an U.S. military audience.

During his talk, Gushee summarized some of the key findings of a bipartisan, blue-ribbon Task Force on Detainee Treatment convened by the Constitution Project on which he served.

It troubles Gushee, he said, that the issue of U.S. torture has "fallen off the national radar."

He emphasized his belief that it is "unworthy of a great democracy like the United States not to tell the truth about such issues."

To " ... acknowledge such shortcomings strengthens rather than weakens the United States," Gushee said.

Gushee particularly emphasized his belief that it is time for truth, accountability and renunciation.

As Gushee told the News & Observer: "Individuals right now can ask the White House to get the Intelligence Committee report released as soon as possible ... "

The Constitution Project's Task Force on Detainee treatment issued a 600-page report in April 2013, which called upon Americans of all political ideologies to recognize that the U.S. has engaged in systematic torture, that its use was ordered by our highest elected officials, and that as Gushee noted, this "half-hidden liturgy of torture ... and ritualized destruction of minds and bodies ... " produced no actionable intelligence.

And, Gushee said, even if the goal was to gather intelligence, " ... good intentions do not relieve our leaders of the obligation to respect the rule of law."

In anticipation of the United Nations' International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, June 26, North Carolina Stop Torture Now Coordinator Christina Cowger spoke primarily about our group's campaign to urge the highest officials in 4 nations to apologize and offer meaningful restitution to one victim of the extraordinary rendition, secret detention and torture.

Cowger also echoed Gushee's concern for the most prompt and fullest release of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence report on detainee treatment, which reliable sources say will contain extensive and damning details of the U.S. torture program and considerable detail on North Carolina's support of the extraordinary rendtion program.

The Rev. Luke Powery, Dean of the Duke Chapel, opened with a powerful, acapella performance of a spiritual song that raised a few voices from the audience and moved others to sway gently. Afterwards, he offered reflections on the links between the post-9/11 torture program and the long history of the torture of slaves in the United States. Powery concluded by emphasizing the immorality of disregarding the sanctity and value of human life and particularly the human body, drawing powerful imagery from the story of Jesus' crucifixion.

The event was hosted by Pullen Memorial Baptist Church and co-sponsored by the North Carolina Council of Churches, The Constitution Project, National Religious Campaign Against Torture, KARAMAH: Muslim Women Lawyers for Human Rights, and NC Stop Torture Now.


Taking Responsibility for Extraordinary Rendition and Torture: The Case Of Abou ElKassim Britel

Portrait of Abou Elkassim Britel in 1997Since September 11, 2001, over 135 people have been seized, abducted and tortured as part of the U.S. extraordinary rendition program. Abou ElKassim Britel is one of them.

"The wrong has been done, sadly. What I can ask now is some form of reparation, so that I can have a fresh start and try to forget, even if it won’t be easy ... I want an apology; it is only fair to say that someone who has done something wrong must apologize." – Abou ElKassim Britel

Mr. Britel Portrait taken 2011

In brief, Mr. Britel has explicitly asked for an apology from the U.S. government. North Carolina Stop Torture Now and a team of law students led by Professor Deborah Weissman in the Human Rights Policy Seminar at the University of North Carolina School of Law in Chapel Hill seek official acknowledgement, apologies, and restitution for Mr. Britel for three reasons: (1) Simple humanity requires it; (2) Americans do not condone the terrible human rights abuses perpetrated in our names; and (3) these actions are essential to ensure that such wrongs never happen again.

A summary of his and his family's ordeal is available here and an electronic/online petition is available here. His wife maintains a blog with an English transaltion available here.

Or, you can print this version and circulate it among your friends, faith or activist community and return it to:

Britel Apology ♦ NC Stop Torture Now ♦ P.O. Box 12707 ♦ Raleigh, NC 27605
Or, scan and e-mail to: contact@ncstoptorturenow.org


Two Dozen Activists Renew Call on President Obama to Close Guantánamo!

Nearly two dozen activitsts and allies of North Carolina Stop Torture Now (NCSTN) gathered for a Global Day of Action to Close Guantánamo and End U.S. Torture on May 23, 2014 at the Terry Sanford Federal Building, 310 New Bern Ave., in Raleigh.

The vigil, covered by ABC-11 television and the Raleigh News & Observer, marked the one-year anniversary of President Obama's most recent promise to close the prison camp at Guantánamo. His pledge came in response to the mass hunger strike by men protesting their indefinite detention and to the renewed, global condemnation of the prison.

Recently, District of Columbia Federal District Court Judge Gladys Kessler suspended her order that the military to stop force-feeding a hunger-striking detainee at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, noting that " ... because of the Pentagon’s 'intransigence,' or refusal to compromise, 'Mr. Dhiab may well suffer unnecessary pain from certain enteral feeding practices and forcible cell extractions. However, the Court simply cannot let Mr. Dhiab die."

In an earlier order, Judge Kessler directed the military not to destroy videotapes showing previous force-feeding of the detainee, Jihad Ahmed Mujstafa Diyab, a Syrian held at Guantánamo for 11 years nine months.

Cori Crider, a defense attorney for a Syrian detainee, noted that:

President Obama “ ... could put my ... client on a plane today if he had the will to do it."

Since Obama’s speech, only 17 men have been released. 149 remain, nearly all of whom have never been charged with a crime. Seventy-six were cleared for release by the U.S. government years ago. Fifty-six men are from Yemen, the largest national group at Guantánamo, but they remain subject to what amounts to a moratorium on their release based on their nationality. No one from Yemen has been freed since the May speech.

“Look at the current situation, where we are force-feeding detainees who are being held on a hunger strike . . . Is this who we are?”

–President Barack Obama, May 2013

It is unknown how many prisoners continue to hunger-strike, but reports indicate many men may continue to be refusing food, and many are being subjected to forced feeding—a practice condemned by international human rights organizations, medical associations, and members of the U.S. Congress. New lawsuits in U.S. courts lay bare the extreme cruelty of the forced feeding at Guantánamo. To quell the public outcry against the prison, the U.S. military in December 2013 stopped reporting the numbers of hunger strikers. More recently, it has classified their protest, in Orwellian fashion, as “long-term non-religious fasting.”

Sadly, as we pass the anniversary of yet another broken promise, this is what the United States remains—a country that continues to indefinitely detain and brutalize the men at Guantánamo. Grassroots activists, human rights organizations, and advocates for the detained men call on people throughout the United States and the world to hold President Obama accountable to his promise.

Together, we must continue to say: “Not another broken promise. Not another day in Guantánamo!”

The action was coordinated by Witness Against Torture in collaboration with Amnesty International, the National Religious Campaign Against Torture, Veterans for Peace, World Can’t Wait, and the Torture Abolition and Survivor Support Coalition.

 


Close Guantánamo Billboard Debuts in Johnston County

Jan 6 – North Carolina Stop Torture Now partnered with Veterans for Peace, CloseGitmo.net, and PopularResistance.org to sponsor placement of a 28-ft by 12-ft billboard just 4 miles east of I-95 on Hwy 70 in Johnston County, NC, shown at left, depicting two kneeling black hooded prisoners and urging the United States to: "Close Guantánamo!"

The billboard is the inspiration of graphic designer Ellen Davidson and her partner Tarak Kauff, an ex-paratrooper and national board member of Veterans For Peace, who, along with artist Paul Keskey from New Paltz, NY, designed and are promoting the billboards. They hope to see the billboards appear at sites in cities and towns across the country. Kauff last year completed a 58-day hunger strike reflecting his desire to see Guantánamo closed, the force feeding and other forms of torture stopped, and the prisoners, most of whom have been cleared for release, actually released.


JOIN US at our Next Meeting:

2-4 p.m., Sunday, August 3, 2014
Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh
3313 Wade Avenue in Founder's Hall (beneath the sanctuary)


Help Us Raise $10,000 to Continue our Work.

The button below will take you to our secure payment page hosted by PaySimple.

PLEASE NOTE:

You DO NOT NEED TO ESTABLISH AN ACCOUNT at PaySimple to make a one-time donation. On the landing page simply click on the button labeled: "Click Here to Pay Now"

Secure Payments

We welcome checks payable to:

North Carolina Stop Torture Now
sent to:
P.O. Box 12707
Raleigh, NC 27605

What will these funds help us do?

• We are part of a national campaign to gain public release of a still-secret – and by all accounts devastating – report on the CIA torture program by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. Our own U.S. Senator Richard Burr sits on this committee.

• We’re also supporting an historic first: a non-governmental North Carolina Commission of Inquiry on Torture. An independent team is laying the groundwork for this non-partisan, blue-ribbon panel to subject our state to sober, public scrutiny for its role in torture. NC Stop Torture Now helps by collecting endorsements from hundreds of North Carolinians.

• Our "Cleaning Up Johnston County" campaign inspires human rights activists far and wide! The NC Department of Transportation approved us to adopt the highway in front of the Johnston County Airport, home of the torture flights. Our quarterly litter clean-ups educate the public and beautify the environment.

In addition, we are in regular contact with survivors who were secretly rendered to torture in NC-based aircraft and have never received a word of acknowledgement, apology, or restitution from the U.S. government. Their lives were shattered. This national shame cannot be swept under the rug.


Retired Colonel Morris Davis Says U.S. Torture Policy Puts the Lives of Captured American Troops at Risk and May Have Created Terrorists

Retired U.S. Air Force Colonel Morris Davis, a former prosecutor at Guantánamo Bay spoke at four venues in the Triangle and Johnston County. His talks, which highlighted the injustice of holding prisoners indefinitely and without charge was covered by The Smithfield Herald, The News & Observer and The Fayetteville Observer and Davis was interviewed on The State of Things a public-interest program on WUNC-FM 91.5.

As the Fayetteville Observer reported, Davis argued that torture does not elicit information that can be used in the court of law and said the practice has damaged the nation's image.

"We are not the shining city on the hill," he said. "If we're the country we claim to be, we've got to get back to the values we claim to represent. Regardless of whether it's illegal, it's immoral.

"War is hell. But the rule of law makes it a little less hellish," he added. Morris said the United States helped write the international rules that bar torture, but opened the door to "exceptions" during the George W. Bush presidency.

At every talk, Davis made the point that the military considers the Geneva Conventions its “bible,” and the U.S.’ abandonment of the rule of law has been opposed along the way by many in the Armed Forces and the JAG corps.

The Fayetteville Observer also noted that "Morris was critical of both the Bush and Obama presidencies, speaking against the use of drones to kill suspected terrorists and the failure to close the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba."

There is also a short video of Col. Davis reviewing the topics of his talk available.


BACK TO TOP

Who We Are ...

North Carolina Stop Torture Now is a grassroots coalition of individuals representing themselves and—through their involvement and witness to neighbors—a diversity of faith, human rights, peace, veteran, and student groups across the state.

We aim to stop torture everywhere, and have worked since 2005 to expose and end North Carolina's central role in the ongoing U.S. torture program.

Our special focus has been on the "torture taxis" of Aero Contractors, Ltd. of Smithfield. Both are nominally private companies linked to the operation of aircraft in clandestine support of the CIA’s extraordinary rendition program. Extraordinary rendition is a phrase that disguises the kidnap, detention and torture of individuals alleged to be enemies of the United States, including those guilty of nothing other than being misidentified.

Aero Contractors' headquarters is located at the Johnston County Airport near Smithfield, NC, and you can view a partial list of detainees who were disappeared and subsequently tortured at the Aero Flew Them page, or directly on this PDF document.

We are particularly concerned that state and local government officials and individual citizens recognize their own complicity in the extraordinary rendition program and take steps to provide restorative justice to victims and survivors, to air a full account of human rights violations, and to demand top-down accountability for the authors and perpetrators of these crimes.

# # #

Please report broken links or other concerns.
updated 28 June 2014, JMcI

TAKE ACTION / APOLOGIZE / AERO FLEW THEMJOIN 
RESOURCES / CALENDAR / FOR THE PRESS / CHRONOLOGY
 PLANESPOTTINGCONTACT